Once the squares had dried, I laid them out to decide their placement.

I then sewed each square together in rows of 9, then all together to make one large square. As well as time consuming, this was a difficult process due to the shape of the squares as they were not all perfectly even. After all sewn together, I then had to add a second whole layer behind the squares due to the transparency of the material and the strong blue of the inner material.

The next step was to measure out a third piece of this pink material to create the back of the quilt. Once pinned to the inner comfy fabric, it was time to stitch it together. Inspired by my previous work and quilt developments, I used a similar technique from before of sewing uneven vertical lines. This too was very time consuming due to the size of the material, but I am happy with the outcome.

I wanted to revisit the front of the quilt to add any details before sewing it all into one piece. I was keeping in mind the importance of scaling up my marks during this, so tried out using a strong red coloured wool. I though that the red lines sewn throughout the quilt could represent blood lines – inspired by a previous collage I made in a workshop. However, I was not happy with how this was turning out as it felt too broken up, and I was worried about how the hanging untacked wool would endure someone using the quilt every day. I was also having trouble with the wool itself as it was too thick to pass through my needle, so I had to unwind it into smaller pieces. In the end, I did not carry on with this method.

Once I was happy with the front, it was time to pin and stitch all three pieces together. After a simple stitch around the border to connect the materials, I next had to plan out what I would free stitch to connect the material and create the quilt.

After some research and doodling, I planned to go ahead with the non-binary symbol as reference to my own gender in relation to my theme and the text used. However, with each stitch I was not happy with how it was turning out due to the size of the stitches on such a large piece. I turned this around by creating a sun shape – one I have used throughout my project. This sun shape is a symbol for solarian non-binary people, as seen below. The colour of the thread used to sew this sun is also important is it relates to the Gay Pride flag, shown in the slideshow below. Indigo/dark blue represents serenity and harmony.

I am happy with my quilt so far, although I do wish it was a little bit neater to make it easier to sew and show off the details in each square. All there is to do now is to add a border!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s